Thursday, April 1, 2010

His First Day at Home

The first thing Wade wanted to do today after eating breakfast (he didn't like the oatmeal I had prepared for him) was to get the 3D Spiderman puzzle that he saw on his desk last night. He is just wild about everything Spiderman. We had gotten him a few things for his room not fully understanding his interest in the super hero. He can't wait to put up the 4 foot Spiderman applique on his wall. We also have a stuffed Spiderman that will hang upside down from the ceiling. I couldn't tell him to wait until I finished my breakfast so we dove into the puzzle. He did a great job of figuring it out with only minimal help from me. Upon finishing it, we went to his room to proudly display it on his shelf. Even though Wade is 12, he is small and emotionally about 9 or 10. He was in the 4th grade at his school. He is so sweet. We are enjoying having a "younger one" around who gets so excited about the little (or big) things in life. Wade doesn't have his school testing until next Tuesday with tomorrow and Monday being holidays. The kids went to school today so it was just the two of us. Wade had told us that he liked badminton so I decided to take him to play at our sports center. He is definitely a skilled player. We really had it out on the court! He was smacking that birdie so hard and way deep into my court. I was definitely getting some exercise. I can only imagine that he picked this up at his school. He also enjoys ping pong too and with a table in our family room, he has already played several games. Rich was surprised at how good he was at ping pong.

The fun was over after we ate lunch because we were headed to the doctor for a physical and to the dentist for our first orthodontic/dental consultation. He definitely was scared. He asked me if they were going to prick him in the finger. I told him I didn't know (I actually thought they would take a full blood draw, but didn't say that of course and even if I wanted to say that, I couldn't in Chinese anyway.....). He didn't understand why we had to go and see a doctor if he wasn't sick. In Chinese society, they don't do well visits. He was fidgety and kept asking the nurse and doctor questions. I went to a newly opened international clinic and we saw the head of pediatrics there. He was a very kind man and spent a lot of time with us. He patiently answered all of Wade's questions and listened to him complain about being there. Wade was an unhappy camper about how long the visit there lasted-he wanted to go home. But..... we left there and headed for the dentist. He asked me if they were going to pull a tooth. I said I didn't know but hoping they would pull a very bad looking tooth out. You may wonder how we communicate so well. I guess I am pretty good at; predicting questions, understanding enough Chinese and understanding sign language. Anyway, this appointment was going to be a shocker for him. The dentist really wanted this bad baby tooth to come out. It was hanging by a little bit of gum and it was an easy pull with no anesthesia. Wade was terrified and tears were coming out of his eyes. The doctor did not want to make him do it and gave him the option. He was so good with Wade explaining everything very patiently. I told him to tell Wade that in our house, you put a tooth under your pillow and in the morning find money. Since Wade had gone to get some xrays, the doctor delivered that message for me. He came back to me with a message from Wade. Wade said that if he let the doctor pull his tooth out, would I buy him Spiderman clothes? I agreed of course and then he agreed - deal made! He was still afraid, but went ahead with it. It came out with no effort or pain and little blood. Next he had to have impressions made for an orthodontic consultation (yes, my 5th child with braces!). It was unpleasant to say the least but he mustered the courage and made a LOT of faces in the meantime. He was a trooper today. I made an appointment for his cleaning, fluoride treatment, sealant and fissure filling for next week. I bet he can't wait to go back to that place.

It was a much more enjoyable evening for him that included a Spiderman X-box game with Lucas, funny face making on the computer with Lance, a game of Dutch Blitz with Stacia and Chicken curry with rice for dinner (he went back for seconds without asking). I am so glad that he seems comfortable and happy with us. The Chinese is flowing here and the Chinese-English dictionary is getting a lot of use. I am learning several new words each day. Wade is saying more English words everyday. The doctor said he would sound like a Michigander by the time he was 14. It has been another good day by the grace of God.






No comments: