Friday, January 18, 2008

Interview of myself - Sue


What I like about living in China



  • Meeting people from all over the world

  • The great Chinese food - I'm with ya Lance! The sweet and sour pork and Mandarin Fish are at the top of my list.

  • Travel both in China and elsewhere in Asia. My next adventures include going on a field trip with the 8th grade to Nanjing to learn about the massacre that happened there in WWII and a trip for all of us to Thailand to work in an orphanage the first week in February.

  • Having a full time maid - no, I don't miss scrubbing showers or ironing. Thanks Gui Lin! (see above picture)

  • Having a driver - I hope driving is like riding a bike and I won't forget how! I can get a lot of reading done in the car scooting around Shanghai.

  • A more toned down family schedule - less running around for sports and more time together. When Rich is here he doesn't have to take care of the honey do list - the service center does that!

  • Walking around the incredible gardens here in our complex with my sweetheart.

  • Flowers around my trees and flowers on my trees in the middle of winter.

  • Hearing the ship horns blow at night instead of the trains in Plymouth

  • Speaking Chinese and actually being understood (only a little).

  • Speaking English and actually being understood.

  • Using sign language and actually being understood.

  • Welcoming visitors like Rich's mom, Friend Dawn Hall and Flat Stanley - Come on over!!

  • Our church and our wonderful small group.

  • Buying the biggest head of nappa cabbage I have ever seen for 25 cents. Fresh fruits and veggies are abundant and cheap! They even have Michigan Gala apples here.

What I don't like about living in China



  • Being so far from all of you!!!

  • The smoking everywhere you go - I have become a second hand smoker.

  • The pollution

  • They don't have a Meijer Store. I have to shop a few times a week and at several different stores to get what I want. Do you know they haven't had block cream cheese available anywhere since Thanksgiving? It was readily available before then.

  • It is hard to find whole wheat anything - so long Sugar Busters!

  • Taxis don't have seat belts in the back seat and the drivers drive like maniacs.

  • Everyone else drives like maniacs - hence we have a professsional driver to take us around. Even that didn't prevent the accident I was in on Monday where I was creamed by a large truck in the back. Thank goodness for Ford's safe cars with safety glass and good headrests.

  • The incredible crowds in the stores and the rotten carts that I have to push around full of groceries.

  • The summer heat and humidity.



1 comment:

votemom said...

these are really interesting to read - thanks for taking my suggestion!