Friday, May 16, 2008

Earthquake Experience

First, confessions. Our goal was to add to the blog at least once per month, but I now see that March and April have both gone by in a (silent) blur! And now, the first update won’t even have a picture!

This week had a little bit of new China excitement that we did not anticipate. I (Rich) was sitting at my desk on Monday at work. I realized that I was feeling light-headed and quite dizzy. I thought that I might be sick or pass out. Unsure of what was happening to me, and not wanting to fall over, I put both hands out on the desk for stability. As I did, I noticed that the drawstrings on my office curtains were swaying back and forth like a pendulum. Huh?

I realized that it wasn’t just me -- something was happening to the whole building! It was swaying in circles and making it feel like an amusement ride! My first thought was – uh oh – all the construction around us has done us in. They are building TWO giant buildings across the street, both taller than anything in the U.S. Throw in the subway they are building under the street and the two new skyscrapers on the other side of us, and I figured that maybe our building was destabilized and about to fall over!

Anyway, we were all asked to evacuate. It took about 15 minutes to get the crowd down 33 flights of stairs. When we got outside and found someone to talk English to, I learned that they were on a phone call to Chongqing (1000 miles away) and they had felt an earthquake and hung up the phone there. Then another guy said that he was on the phone to Beijing (500 miles the other direction) and they had felt an earthquake there.

We were safe on the ground in Shanghai, but I realized right then that this dizhen was BIG, and that people somewhere in China were going to be in serious trouble. As you may have heard, the epicenter was out in western China, far from here. And it is very bad. They already have so little in terms of equipment and and expertise and funds, etc. that far out, it is going to be a difficult recovery indeed.

We are safe and sound in Shanghai, but thousands in China could use your prayers and support.

Love to all,
Rich

3 comments:

Laura said...

Rich & Sue,
I was just going to email you all today to give us your perspective on all that was going on there! I can't believe you felt it that much in your building. Can't even imagine what it must have been like to be in the heart of it all. The little news we've had about it (all the news is covering is Obama and Hillary) it all is just so sad! Glad you are all safe! More blogging, please! :)

votemom said...

thanks for the update. i've been thinking of and praying for you guys all week.

Donna Nuce said...

Rich and Sue
Glad to hear you are saffe. It is so sad to hear all the deaths the earthquake caused. Enjoy reading the blogs.
The Gerons